KSHN began a significant new initiative in 2017, OSHA 10-Hour Training for Career and Technical Education, or OSHA 10-4 CTE.
What is it?
OSHA 10-4 CTE is a collaborative initiative between KSHN, the Kentucky Department of Education’s Office of Career and Technical Education (OCTE), and Eastern Kentucky University’s OSHA Training Institute Education Center (EKU-OTIEC). OSHA 10-4 CTE provides “OSHA Authorized Outreach Trainer” status to Kentucky secondary education instructors. The instructors then provide OSHA 10-Hour training at secondary schools across the state for career and technical education students in manufacturing and construction pathways.
- Acquire an awareness of common safety and health hazards;
- Acquire the knowledge to identify, prevent, reduce, avoid, and abate job-related hazards;
- Enter the workforce with essential safety and health knowledge that will keep them, and co-workers, safer on the job; and
- Obtain an important credential before employment that is often required by employers.
A win-win for everyone, students, future employers, and society!
In 2017, the first year of the initiative, thirteen (13) teachers received General Industry Outreach authorization and seventeen (17) teachers received Construction Industry Outreach authorization at twenty-five (25) secondary schools throughout Kentucky, representing twenty-four (24) counties!
- 249 high school students completed General Industry 10-Hour training;
- 359 high school students completed Construction 10-Hour training; and
- 23 high school students completed Construction 30-Hour training.
That's 631 high school student trained in just the first year of the program!
For 2018, an additional ???? teachers from ?? counties .................................................
How to Help
This initiative is a very significant undertaking that has a substantial cost, first year training cost $121,072. OCTE, KSHN, and EKU-OTIEC are committed to providing as much assistance as possible but we need your help. Your support is an opportunity to invest in tomorrow’s workforce today! Make a difference in the well-being of a Kentucky high school student who will soon be entering the workforce! You can contribute a general sponsorship or sponsor a particular school or instructor during registration or by mail. You can send your contribution by mail to:
ATTN OSHA 10-4 CTE
P.O. Box 4087
Frankfort, KY 40602-4087.
You can also make a contribution during the conference registration process!
ALL funds donated for the OSHA 10-4 CTE initiative are used for that purpose and that purpose only. Please indicate if your charitable donation is for a particular school or instructor.
KSHN Employer Identification Number 61-1269280